MA Journalism with Commendation, Kingston University, United Kingdom, 2009-2010
- Related coursework: Business Journalism, Hands-on Journalism, Shorthand, Multimedia Reporting, Journalists and Government, Journalists and Law, and The News Business.
- NCTJ certificates in News Writing, Public Affairs: Local, Public Affairs: Central, Media Law: General, Media Law: Courts.
BA English, UCLA, Los Angeles, 2007-2009
- Related coursework: The Art of the Interview, Electronic Literature.
- GPA: 3.10.
Freelance Writer/Photographer; Patch.com, Orange Coast Magazine, OC Weekly, the Guardian, etc.: 2010-present
- Covered a wide variety of local issues ranging from local government to business.
- Notable stories covered include the Occupy Los Angeles raid, the Kelly Thomas beating death, corruption case involving Newport-Mesa Unified School District superintendent Jeffrey Hubbard, the Cerritos labor union dispute, solar panel fees in Cerritos and how the Roxy uses social media to connect with its customers.
- Proven performer in attracting viewers and organization to Patch.com content.
- Written content that is easy to read and turned over work very quickly.
Features Editor, River Online, Kingston University-www.riveronline.co.uk, Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom: 2009-2010
- Commissioned more than a dozen stories about Kingston University issues for the Features section.
- Covered prominent constituency during the UK General Election results.
- Earned a nomination for Best Feature Writer at the 2010 Journalism Oscars and gained valuable web reporting experience and utilized content management systems.
Intern, Los Angeles CityBeat, Los Angeles: 2008
- Shadowed reporters in the newspaper, particularly the Calendar and Arts sections.
- Handled a database of listings using Microsoft Excel and updated copy of upcoming events throughout the city, including short articles of performances and art exhibits.
- Turned around copy very quickly and gained valuable understanding of the workings of a major local newspaper.
Commentary Editor, Orange Coast College Coast Report, Costa Mesa, Calif.: 2006-2007
- Ensured that a weekly editorial and Op-Ed pieces were written before deadline. Created pages of section with Adobe InDesign.
- Gained valuable communications skills by reporting on news that mattered to students at Orange Coast College and increased student interest in the newspaper through thought-provoking commentary and news reporting.
- Reporting commended by the Journalism Association of Community Colleges.
- Clean California driver’s license.
- Working knowledge of Spanish and understanding of Latin American and Asian communities/culture.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook. Also knowledgeable in Photoshop and photography. Completed Intro to Photo-From Analog to Digital course at Fullerton College in Fall 2010.
- Extensive social media use, including Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, WordPress and LinkedIn. Used social media platforms to cover the Occupy Los Angeles protests and inform followers in real time.